Monday, March 19, 2007

Tomorrow's Matches - My Predictions

Tomorrow sees New Zealand and Kenya battling it out for top spot in group C whereas Scotland take on world no. 1 South Africa in group A. The latter match looks like a total mismatch - SA completely anhiliated Netherlands in their first match and I don't expect anything different in this fixture either. The SA batting line-up is awesome, especially against powder-puff bowling attacks. Their bowling has a sameness about it, although Shaun Pollock's stunning return to form has given them that extra edge, both in wicket-taking as well as in run-choking. My prediction, SA to win by a large margin.

The match between New Zealand and Kenya looks much more balanced, although some people bunch the Kenyans with the other "minnows." Frankly, I fancy Kenya's chances. NZ has top-order problems and if tomorrow is the day when their superbly consistent lower order fails, we could be in for a surprise. Bangladesh took out NZ in their warm-up match and if the pitch offers any turn, Kenya's spinners could cause huge problems for NZ. Although my head still says NZ, this time I'm going with my heart and choosing the underdog. I'm with Kenya on this, especially if they bat first and put up a decent total!

So to summarize:

SA wins over Scotland
Kenya wins over New Zealand

No comments: